• Restraining orders that come between you and your children.
• The negative impact on the legal record of the one convicted, and this is very significant punishment because the record remains for life. When convicted, it might be difficult to find employment or housing, and anyone can use the Internet to obtain a simple background check, which shows all arrests on state background checks.
Domestic Charges Destroy the Home
Violent abuse inside the home is different from a random burglary where the participants don’t know each other. Domestic violence is about the control that one person has over the other and they are interconnected both emotionally and physically.
If you have been charged with domestic violence, you need professional legal help. Give us a call to ensure your rights are protected.
• NRS 205.220 is the statute for “grand larceny,” which means that the thief was arrested with $650 worth or more of property.
• NRS 205.240 is used if the value is under $650 and is called “petty larceny.”
If someone has been charged with a shoplifting offense, in a Nevada store, it is not a light offense. Las Vegas Police prosecute according to the value of the stolen merchandise.
If you or someone you know has been arrested for shoplifting, you need to obtain an experienced criminal defense lawyer like Potter Criminal Defense Lawyers to handle your case. A lawyer who has the knowledge and experience of handling larceny cases has numerous defenses to use in your defense.
Here are several defenses that can be used.
1. The property was not stolen, it was already yours. The most significant argument is that the items in question were already paid for.
2. Mistaken identity. If the lawyer can prove that the storeowner was mistaken on the identification of the shoplifter.
3. The shoplifting conviction in Nevada is reliant on the intention of the individual to permanently steal the items from the establishment. If the attorney can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was going to return them, then the case can be dropped.
If you have been charged with shoplifiting in Las Vegas, give the Potter Criminal Defense lawyers a call today!
Most people do not know the difference between assault and battery. A battery charge is when the aggressor is actually striking a person, and there are different types according to the intensity of the act. (NRS200.481) Assault is threatening to hurt or kill another person.
• The assault was carried out with the consent of the victim
• The injury caused was not intended
• The defendant did not believe the actions would cause injuries.Actual Battery Incident in Las Vegas
Flavor Flay, the rap artist, was arrested and charged for assault with a deadly weapon and battery. William Drayton or Flavor Flay was in an argument with his fiancé, and he threw her to the ground several times. Then he chased his stepson and daughter through the house with two knives. He made threats to his fiancé’s son, and he faces 30 years because of prior violence charges. Flavor Flay was put in jail and had a $20,000 bond for assault and a $3,000 bond for battery. If you need to discuss assault or battery charges you may be facing, contact the Potter Law Firm.
After robbing the banks, Johnston and her boyfriend Ronald Rice then traveled to Idaho, where they reportedly committed other thefts. Police eventually caught up with the couple, who led them on a car chase to a motel in Bliss, where they were cornered in a parking lot.
Rice attempted to surrender by exiting the getaway vehicle, a 2010 Nissan Xterra, with his hands in the air, but was allegedly shot by Johnston while trying to do so. She was then shot by police, and taken into custody. Idaho police claim that the injuries to both Rice and Johnston were relatively minor. Johnston was eventually extradited back to Las Vegas, where a grand jury indicted her of the charged in June.
Johnston is now awaiting sentencing, which will take place early next year. As a part of her plea agreement, she has offered to pay back more than $2,400 that was taken during the bank heists.
Bank robbery is defined at 18 U.S. Code Section 2113, which allows for a fine and prison term of up to 20 years for an offense. The term increases to 25 years whenever a weapon is involved in the commission of the crime.
Recently, Las Vegas was named as one of the top destinations in the United States for sex trafficking especially for minors. Typically, the average age for children who are sold into prostitution is 12-14 years. An incredible study revealed that right in Clark County, 30 percent of the children were sold to work in the sex trade by family members and that one-third found in Las Vegas actually were from Las Vegas. The remaining two-thirds were brought here from 40 other states to be bought and sold.
Sex Trafficking is run for greed and where else to find temporary funds won at a rapid pace than in Las Vegas. The women and children are held by fear from their predators. The final count of children trafficked into the city last year was 157. The leaders of this city are determined to bring awareness of this crime to its citizens and to reduce this crime in our city and state.